Thursday, November 13, 2008

My Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

So yesterday was an interesting day. I wanted to pull my hair out by the end of the day! So here you go. Here's what my day was like!

Boo had been feverish on and off since Monday night. Tuesday night he was pretty cranky so I cancelled daycare for the next day. Good thing because that night his fever shot up to 104.1. So I got up at the crack of dawn to wait for the doctor's office to open and try to get him in that day. Finally I was able to get a hold of someone around 8:00 am and got him an appointment for 11:15 am. He continues to sleep on and off all morning. We get ready to go and I realize that the tires need air. Thank God I had a one dollar bill in my wallet (I never carry cash). So, no big deal. We stop by the gas station to air up the tires. The ones on the driver side were low. I checked the ones on the passenger side and they were fine.

So, anyways I get my coffee from Innkeeper's and we head to the doctor's office (which is in a different town about 15-20 minutes away). We get there with time to spare. The diagnosis - ear and sinus infection. Awww...poor Boo. He's a trooper though. So after the doctor's appointment we stop by Walgreens to get his medication. I drop off film and pay for same day processing. I figure we'll pick it up after going to HyVee. We head to HyVee because I wanted to get some bananas and soup and such as these are good for a sick little one. Soooo...this is where it gets interesting.

We pull into HyVee and someone comes up to my car before I even get out. I open my door and he asks me in an angry voice, "Do you know you have a flat rear tire?" I say, "No. I just aired up my tires this morning." Anyhoo, the guy stalks off quickly without another word as though I've done something to personally offend him. What the hell??? So, anyways, I walk around to the passenger side (remember, these tires were fine this morning). Flat, completely flat. Bummer. So now is when I start to panic inside my head a little bit. Who can I call? T is at work. My mom is at work. My dad is at work. Well, crap. So I figure, might as well go in and get what I came to get. I figured this would give me time to calm down and think. So, I get my stuff and get some cash back in quarters in case I end up needing to use the payphone (I don't have a cell phone).

So, I get out to the car and figure I'm just going to have to change this bad boy myself. Poor Boo's sitting in the shopping cart and it's a bit chilly (it could've been worse, but he is sick and all). But I didn't want to put him in the car in case I jacked it up wrong and it fell. Obviously I have tons of tire-changing experience. So anyways, I get the donut out, get the tool bag out, and get the jack out. I'm starting to think I can do this and then I realize I have absolutely no idea how the jack hooks onto the car. I'm standing in the HyVee parking lot staring at the jack as though it's the most foreign contraption I've ever seen (and sadly that's not far from the truth). By now I'm making a concerted effort to keep the panic off of my face. Tons of people walked past by the way. Just thought I'd point that out. Anyways, enter my good samaritan. I guy walked up and asked if I needed help. I must have looked incredibly pathetic as I said "yes." So he changed the tire and pointed me in the direction of the tire store located at the mall across the street. He informed me that the donut is low.

So...we're off to the tire shop. As I'm getting ready to cross the street towards the tire store a car pulls up next to me and honks. I roll down my window. "Your back tire is flat." I figure that the woman that pulled up misunderstood that I had a donut on the back. I hollered over to her car, "It's a donut. It's low I know." "I know it's a donut and it's pretty damn near flat" is her reply. "Oh, well I'm headed across the street to the tire store now." So then she says "ok" and drives off. the tire shop. And yes, that donut was flat. I finally give poor Boo his medicine. He slept in his stroller while we waited. Of course the tire's hole was in a place that they can't fix. And of course they don't have any used tires in the size I need. So now I have a brand spankin' new tire on my car.

So I drive home and intentionally left my film that I paid same day processing for at Walgreens. Because now I can't afford to pick it up. So I'll be picking it up on a different day but still paying the higher same day charge. Ugh!!

Then I get home and see that we didn't have enough in the bank account to cover the tires (which is suprising, because I really thought we did). So, I start to panic yet again. And then, "aha", I remembered that I had a daycare reimbursement check from my working days that I had yet to cash. Granted I was saving it for Christmas shopping, but whatever. Anyways, I knew it was in the pocket of my black jeans that I wore the other day. I put it there instead of around the house because I was trying to keep it out of T's hands. Well, I searched and searched and black jeans are nowhere to be found. I got a sick feeling to my stomach as I know I heard the laundry running early that morning. So I headed to the basement and there was my black jeans in the dryer. And there was the check in its pocket. Totally not cashable. Bummer. There goes that plan. So I resign myself to the fact that we may overdraw our account. So all in all it was a pretty crappy day.

I think what made the day seem worse was the fact that I had a flat tire and those that felt the need to inform me about it also felt the need to be pissed off about it. I'm still scratching my head on that one.

So, since I try so hard to be positive. Here's my list of all the things in the silver lining yesterday:

Boo's illness was not serious. He'll recover from a sinus and ear infection just fine.
The tire did not go flat on the way to or from the doctors. This would have been bad. Think stuck on the side of the highway with no phone. A good samaritan changed the tire for us. My initial feeling about my bank account was correct. There was enough money. Our online banking showed the money taken out, but did not show the actual transaction until the next day. Huge sigh of relief. I now have a new check from daycare reimbursement account on its way.

No comments:

Post a Comment