Sunday, February 3, 2008

Safe Cosmetics

I just wanted to share a website I found.

Safe Cosmetics

Taken straight from their website:

"The companies listed above have pledged to not use chemicals that are known or strongly suspected of causing cancer, mutation or birth defects in their products and to implement substitution plans that replace hazardous materials with safer alternatives in every market they serve."

I'm trying so hard to switch over to safer choices in our home, but it can be more expensive. I can't afford to throw away practically all of our products, so my strategy is to use them up and replace them with safer alternatives as I'm able. The only exception is that I'm considering tossing all of my lead-tainted lipsticks.

One big change that I made last year was to start using homemade cleaner. Here's the recipe that I use for a good general cleaner.

Equal parts vinegar and water
Tea tree essential oil (it has antimicrobial and antifungal properties)
Lavendar essental oil
Tangerine essental oil

I love this recipe. It does a fantastic job of cutting grease in the kitchen. Sorry Clorox - you're no longer needed or wanted. Oh, and by the way, this is so much cheaper than having to buy a commercially prepared cleaning product.

No comments:

Post a Comment