Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Quality of Midwifery Care

Many of you know that for my pregnancy with Elfie I went to a midwife instead of an OB. I had an OB for my pregnancy with Boo. I have to say that even though things ended badly (I miscarried), I loved the midwife that I was working with. The quality of care that I received was amazing. Early on, when I was having some issues, I called her late at night and we talked about what was going on with my body and what could possibly be happening. She explained some options to me as far as how to proceed and I went from there. What I really loved is that she explained my options to me and left the decision with me. Sometimes medical professionals have a way of telling clients what to do, rather than empowering clients to make their own decisions. Granted, there are some emergency situations where their wouldn't be time for something like that and that's when it's important to have a provider that you trust. But most medical decisions are not immediate crisis situations, even if some medical professionals try to make us feel that way!

After I miscarried my midwife gave me a big hug and gave me her condolences. She was very supportive and encouraged me to call her if I need anything. A few days later she called to see how I was doing. Her voice shook as she explained her sorrow over what had happened and how she wishes she could've done something, but knows that she couldn't have. To me that's what makes her a truly great provider - she cares. I like to think many in the medical profession care, and perhaps they do and aren't great at showing it.

Anyways, while the whole experience of having a miscarriage sucked, I have to say that the care I received was truly amazing. It was holistic, natural, and nurturing.

3 comments:

  1. Dude I wish I had a midwife for Miss H and though I had three for Odin (can we say overkill?) I wish I could have seen one outside of an office:(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well...there's always kid #3...LOL...I know you're gonna want to smack me for that comment! Anyhoo, I LOVED not going to an office. It was cozy and warm and comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry for your loss, hon... and that I'm so slow with my condolences. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete