Saturday, April 17, 2010

Babywise - some things to consider

It's been awhile since I've posted on something that I'm passionate about.

Prior to Boo being born I was so fortunate to read Dr. Sears "The Baby Book." I will say that this book laid the foundation for the type of mother that I have been, am currently, and will evolve to be. Dr. Sears is well known and has a ton of books out on a variety of subjects regarding raising children. He is a strong supporter of the style of parenting that I wholeheartedly agree with - attachment parenting.

There is a style of parenting that Dr. Sears is an opponent of. And he's not alone. The AAP (American Academy of Pediatrics) News has printed an article with concerns regarding Babywise.

AAP News

In some Christian communities Babywise techniques have been elevated to "the" Godly way to raise children.

Train Up A Child


An AAP Media alert asserts the actual position of the AAP regarding scheduled feedings.

AAP Media Alert

Cue Feeding v. Parent Directed Feeding


This page has some good comparisons of Ezzo, The Baby Whisperer, and AAP recommendations.

Anyways, it's late. I need to get to sleep. But that's probably enough food for though.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I hadn't heard of Babywisde. What a horrible idea. I can't see how any pediatrician could pass that off as good advice. The whole thing about a 2 week old learning natural consequences made me shudder.

    ReplyDelete