Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Trying To Change My Ways

Change can be so hard...especially when you're trying to chip away at lifelong habits. One thing that I've been working hard on since before Boo was born is living more naturally and responsibly. I went from thinking Bleach wipes were the best thing since sliced bread to only using natural homemade cleaner in the home. It's much healthier for everyone's body. And by the way, it is cheaper and just as effective. I've been using cloth diapers to save the environment and put more natural materials next to my child's body. I've switched over pretty much entirely to organic produce - I also get produce from local farmers instead of the chain grocery store. I can't remember the last time that I've shopped at Wal-Mart. I use cloth bags when I shop (when I don't forget them at home or in my car). So all in all I feel as though I have some things to be proud of. I'm excited about the changes that have come about and look forward to progressing even further.

Here's some areas that I'm still working on. I still allow too much conventional medication into our lives. I've done pretty decently with Boo. But since I'm nursing him, he gets what I take. So I need to be more diligent about looking for alternative options when an antibiotic or some other prescription might seem to be a necessity. I have a couple of good books that have a wealth of information on the subject. Part of the problem is that there's no local supplier and I don't want to drive some distance or order something online when I'm sick now. So, I need to plan ahead and get a few things on hand that I know I'll use. I'm still working on the family's nutrition. I was actually doing pretty well with this one and then I fell off the wagon when I went back to work full-time. It's hard to find the energy to be creative and healthy sometimes when I'm in a hurry to get dinner on the table and overwith so we can all get to bed on time! After Friday this may not be as much of an issue as I'll be returning home. Granted, I'll still be pretty busy as I get my home childcare business up and running. So, anyways, I need to work on better meal planning and better variety. I think that less meat would be a good goal. I'd like to cut down to three dinners a week and go from there. Problem is, I know my hubby will say "Where's the meat? It's not dinner without meat!" LOL. I'd like to figure out the exercise thing. I've been going to yoga consistently every Thursday for a year now - YAY (I guess this part should have been above). But anyways, one day a week hardly cuts it as regular exercise. Soooo...I need to find a way to incorporate more movement into my daily life. T and I have been biking with Boo and that's helped, but we don't go every night. I've considered a jogging stroller. Perhaps a jog after dinner w/Boo? Perhaps it'd be an easy way to put him to sleep. I just don't know how I'd feel about jogging at the end of a long, busy day. Well, actually, I know exactly how I'd feel about it! Hmmm...this one I just am not sure about. Any ideas??? So I guess that's all for now. Those would be some of the big things I'm working on. Is anyone else working on changes that are hard or has anyone successfully made any difficult lifestyle changes? I'd love to hear about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment