Thursday, August 28, 2008

Wined and Dined

Well, if you're a drinker of wine in the Galesburg area and have not paid a visit to Vintages, you're missing out! Last night I attended a girls' night out event. I'd been wanting to go for some time, but seeing as I don't have any girlfriends in the area that enjoy wine-tasting, I've never felt like I could go. Well Julie, the owner, encouraged me to come on my own. T was home in time to watch Boo so away I went. And I'm so glad I did!

The night started with a glass of wine from the selection set out by the owner. Then we headed next door to the wonderful shop "Toys & Teachers." It's a lovely shop owned by a very personable and friendly woman. I must admit that I take Boo in there quite often to drool over the things I'd like for him to have. In the end I selected a couple of books as well as a gift for an upcoming birthday party. Here's a link to the shop.

Toys & Teachers


Then we went back to Vintages and drank more wine (of course) and filled our plates with tantalizing food choices. A pastry that combined pear with applejack cheese was probably one of my favorites. There was also some bruschetta that was fresh and wonderful. Many of the ingredients came from Julie's farm (yes, she's very busy) and Julie prepared the food herself! There were pears poached in red wine that were absolutely delicious. I know that I'm forgetting some wonderful menu items, but my memory fails me.

Towards the end of the night we got to taste this lovely concoction (the name escapes me). It was a mix of Champagne and french vodka. It came in a beautiful bottle that resembled a perfume bottle. Julie will be stocking this in her store and I plan to purchase a bottle to take to our friends' Christmas party this year.

One thing I love about Vintages is that Julie is always friendly and helpful. I certainly don't think I'll get the level of service that she provides asking for help at the Hy-Vee liquor store or some other such place. When she has helped me pick out a wine to take somewhere, friends have never been disappointed and neither have I!

Here's a link to this wonderful store and if you haven't made it in, well, you simply must not put it off!

Vintages

No comments:

Post a Comment